Thenkuzhal murukku is a very popular dish in South India. We used to make it for Diwali festival. The texture of murukk is crunchy and it tastes so nice.
Rice flour - 2 cups
Urad flour- 1/2 cup
Butter - 3 tbsp (at room temperature)
Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Hot water - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Yield : 15 - 18 Murukku
Preparation time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 25 minutes
1. Take all the ingredients (except water) in mixing bowl. Mix it well.
2. Add water little by little and mix to attain dough right consistency.
3. Divide the dough into 6 equal cylindrical portion.
4. Heat oil in wide pan.
5. Take murukku press and plate (back side) , grease it well with oil.
6. Now add one cylindrical portion into the murukk press and press it slowly in form of circle.
7. Slide the murukku dough into heated oil ( test oil by adding a pinch of dough in it. If it rises immediately, then oil is ready to fry).
8. Fry them on both sides until it turns to golden brown colour.
9. Drain excess oil in paper towel and once it cooled down, store it in air tight container.